Website Analysis Assignment
Identify five different websites from each of these genres. At least two of the sites should be based upon or incorporate WordPress for (you may search wordpress.org>showcase or wordpress.com for sites meeting the WP criteria here).
- an e-commerce web site (must have online ordering)
- a government web site (any gov’t – city, county, state, US agency, foreign agency)
- a media web site – generally what we think of as a news site (maybe even old mainstream – TV, Radio, Newspaper) – could be something that is “net-born” however (Politico, West Seattle Blog, Neon Tommy)
- an entertainment web site (such as for a movie or game)
- a non-profit web site
Create a post on your WordPress.com site for each of the five websites genres. Make a category called “analysis” so they are easily located. If they are not in this category they will not be counted.
Include the following information for each site:
- Site name and URL
- Site description
- Audience (your deduction)
- Business/Site Goals (your deduction)
- Technologies used (your deduction)
- Homepage screenshot
At this point you will have 5 posts (with category “analysis”).
In another single post called “Genre: xxxxx” (Genre: eCommerce for instance)
Pick one genre for in-depth aesthetic analysis and find 3 more of that genre – for a total of 4 that will be in this single post.
- What are the similarities in visual design in these four websites?
- What are the differences?
- How effective is the visual design?
- Give evidence for your judgment.
Due midnight (actually 1158pm) Sept 15th
Graded on completeness; late assignments will have 10% per day deducted from score.
Total points: 200