Details for Defining Personas
- A name (a real name like Greg or Madeline, etc.)
- A photo or image is you can find one
- Personal information, including family and home life
- Work environment (the tools used and the conditions worked under, rather than a job description)
- Computer proficiency and comfort level with using the Web
- Pet peeves and technical frustrations
- Motivation or “trigger” for using a high-tech product (not just tasks, but end results)
- Information-seeking habits and favorite resources
- Personal and professional goals
- Candid quotes – if you could imagine what someone was saying.
Source: Alan Cooper, The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High-Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity, Indianapolis: Sams, 1999, Chapter Nine. (Wording condensed and modified.)
More Tasks To Think About
- What assumptions might we make about the audiences for these sites?